Quotes

Thursday, January 1, 2009

I give you an opinion, cause I just found one

Happy New Year to everyone!

And now that's out of the way...


I never read 3 books at a time. I usually can't. I usually read, maybe, two non-fiction books at once and that's usually because they relate in some way. I'm a big Celtic history fan, ancient Celtic history with the specific interest in Ireland. I love the mythology, the religion, the supposition about said mythology and religion, I love the stories, the spread of the culture (from the near East to eventually Ireland) over the centuries, and I love the impression that they left on the world. Most of all, I love learning about it. It's amazing.

So with that said, I figured I'd venture out of Ireland for a bit and finally sit down and read the Welsh collection of ancient stories, the Mabinogion, that have been around for a very long time but were finally put on paper sometime between the 12-14th centuries (my memory escapes me and I'm not looking right now) and is very very very very heavy on the Christian religion. Makes sense because the first time these stories were written down were by Christian monks who were seeking to take out some of the 'pagan' elements out of the story and make it more a tale of Christian morality.

Then, because I know a lot of the stories in the Mabinogion, I decided to try and start the History of Stupidity. I couldn't get into it.

Now, I'm reading Kitchen Confidential- Anthony Bourdain, right now. I have this weird sort of crush on him and not in a sexual way. I would love to get drinks and listen to him tell stories. I'd love to eat his food and hell, I'd even travel with him. He can be crusty, curmudgeonly, selfish, a complete dick but at the same time, funny, sentimental, caring, and fair. My kind of guy.

But I never read three books at once. So I'm taking History of Stupidity of the list and shelving the Mabinogion for now.

Viva Bourdain.

Mood: Photobucket - Restless

Music: Lullaby- Starsailor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rotation