Quotes

Monday, August 10, 2009

a la Peanut Butter Sandwiches - or a Book Review

Forgot to mention. I had an author read my review of her story on Goodreads and she asked me to put it up on Amazon. I did her one better and put it up on BN.com as well.

The author is Patrice Sarath and it was for her sequel to "Gordath Wood" this book was entitled "Red Gold Bridge". Here's my review.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5143Rynb-2L.jpg

This book actually gets a 4.67 from me. It was nearly perfect, yes, I said that.

It had the right mix of intrigue, thrills (not the cheap kind), suspense and wonder. The second book also got the POV's right, weaving them all together almost seamlessly and allowing every character to develop yet go further with the plot culminating back to the beginning to Joe. Joe started this book off and he ended the book, much like Lynne started the last book off.

I was afraid I was going to be left with the same feeling I had toward the romance of Aerin and Tor and the magic guy from "The Hero and The Crown" - but I wasn't. It was a good ending told realistically enough with Lynne, Joe and Crae and gave them enough of a good ending to believe anything else that followed.

Crae really grew on me in this book and I kept hoping for him to succeed and to be comfortable in his own skin as well as in his own lot. I didn't see him as an interloper between Joe and Lynne like the last book and I really felt he was coming into his own.

We learned more about Joe in this book. Between his own narration and the stories that his mother told, I got a better idea of just who Joe was and why he was so special.

Lynne took a bit of a backseat in this one and was more or less coming to terms with her own emotions and actions that occurred in the last book. Her choices have an effect on both men.

Kate Mossland is the object of a crazy man's affections and she grows up further in this book. She has an idea of what she wants to do and who she wants to be but it takes her a little while to get there. Her sacrifice is enormous and you can feel her loss, blunted only a little by the presence of Colar, and get a sense that maybe this sequel could lead to a third book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rotation